Prof Nelesh Govender
- Nelesh began his career in public health in 2006 when he joined NICD as Head of GERMS surveillance.
- He now heads the Centre for Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs), AMR and Mycoses at NICD. In this position he works closely with the national and provincial Departments of Health to generate evidence to guide government policy with regard to the control and management of HAIs, AMR and mycoses
- His particular area of expertise is in medical mycology and in the field of antimicrobial resistance (AMR), his work has focused largely on the neglected area of antifungal resistance.
- Nelesh is a current member of the Ministerial Advisory Committee on AMR and President of the Federation of Infectious Disease Societies of Southern Africa (FIDSSA).
- He led implementation and evaluation of a national cryptococcal disease screen-and-treat intervention in South Africa in partnership with the Department of Health, was co-chair of the South African cryptococcal disease guidelines panel and a member of the WHO cryptococcal disease and advanced HIV disease guidelines panel.
- He is currently Principal Investigator on two large projects (funded by the US National Institutes of Health and the US CDC)
He is an Associate Professor in the Dept. of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases at the University of the Witwatersrand and Hon. Associate Professor in the Division of Medical Microbiology at the University of Cape Town.
Prof Olga Perovic
- Olga Perovic is the Section Lead for Antimicrobial Resistance within the Centre for HAIs, AMR and Mycoses at NICD
- She is an Associate Professor in the Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, School of Pathology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Witwatersrand
- Her qualifications include DTM&H (Wits) 1997; FC Path (SA) Micro 2000 and Master of Medicine (Medical Microbiology) (Wits)
- Olga was a clinical microbiologist at Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Hospital Academic NHLS Complex for 10 years. Since then, she has focused on surveillance and research in the field of antimicrobial resistance.
- Her areas of expertise include antimicrobial susceptibility testing, antimicrobial resistance surveillance and laboratory quality management.
- Olga is a current member of the Ministerial Advisory Committee on AMR and WHO STAG for AMR
- She heads the WHO collaborating centre for AMR which is housed in the Centre for HAIs, AMR and Mycoses